Monday, May 2, 2011

Wow, I skipped April

I'm a terrible blogger, seriously!
Sorry that I skipped April, it was a...tough month, let's say.
Anyway, I never finished FFXIII, I couldn't take the torture.
I also tried my hand at Fable III, but the copy I was playing was pretty glitched.  I might try it again later though, it seemed good enough, though it lacked something; however, I did like the departure from silent protagonist, that cliché has been beaten to a pulp and beaten even more.  I know that it began with the technological constraints of the time, and for a while the homage was even desirable, but the trope has lived far longer than ever it needed to. 
That rant aside, games are looking good in the near future.  I checked out a preview for The Old Republic, and I have to say, I'm feeling pretty optimistic.  The game, it seems, will be departing from the plotless grind of MMOs, and moving toward a story centric mechanic, and knowing BioWare, a moral guideline from the Light to Darksides.  The PvP could go either way at this point, and I suspect some catches in it, but it shouldn't be poor enough that it keeps people from leaving WoW.  Speaking of WoW, I was quite disappointed with Cataclysm when that came out, the story-centrism wasn't very present, and where it was, it was poor and hardly central to the game at all. 
Another game that I'm excited for is Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.  It looks like an improvement on Oblivion, and this Dragonborn plot sounds good.  I read a preview for the game and it sounded as if the world is more affected by player actions than any game before.  I also read that if you see an NPC doing something, you can do it too, which adds another level of immersion.  It seems that Skyrim aims to improve upon the concepts that Fable introduced to mainstream gaming, though Elder Scrolls had been working on a greatly interactive world for a while. 
Other games that look good are the new Deus Ex installment, L.A. Noire (which should definitely appeal to my love of story and plot), Duke Nukem Forever, The Last Guardian (yes, I was a fan of Shadow of the Colossus, even though I never finished it), and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.
There are a couple games already out that I haven't played yet, the primary concern is Portal 2, which I hear is beautifully genius, better than the first.
Oh, and since I'm blogging I might as well mention this whole Osama thing.
There, I mentioned it.
I'm going to avoid that topic for as long as can, though.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to 2011 as a good year for games.

2 comments: